Thread: Struggling
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
FeelingGreat
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by Tangled34 View Post
1. At the moment he is trying to control it and is only drinking at weekends but will stay out all weekend. Is this common for an A to try and control their drinking?

2. Is it also common for an A to feel guilty and remorseful on their hangover day?
1. Really, really common Tangled. I'd say most A's try to moderate before some of them are able to stop. A's find it hard to imagine life without alcohol, so they try to keep it in their life by telling themselves they can moderate. It doesn't last, and I bet your AH is white-knuckling right through the week because he's staying with his parents. He's probably already started 'cheating' by sneaking drinks.

2. Hangover day equals remorse day. It lasts until the first alcohol craving hits, and then the flexible A's mind starts inventing reasons why it's ok to go on drinking.

I'm sorry he's so angry and in denial because it's hard on you, and doesn't give you much hope of him finding clarity anytime soon. One scenario might be him wanting to come home and making all sorts of promises, but I don't think you're likely to be fooled.