Thread: Struggling
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RDBplus3

Hello Tangled,
I am 61, and I drank for 40 years. My wife at one point asked me to not come home 'drinking' anymore, and I was shocked. That started a long road ... I tried to 'moderate' ... then I realized I did have an 'addiction' which I could not control. It took a long time, in & out of AA, counseling with a Pastor friend, being asked to leave the house several times (which I did to keep from causing excessive calamity in the family). It wasn't pretty.

AA eventually changed my life. Actually it was not until I Worked The 12 Steps of AA that my life was transformed.

My wife and I now have a great relationship. I have been sober for a year and a half. I could not imagine the person I am now, when I was in active addiction. Sorry to say, but No One could help me until I hit the place inside myself that I HAD TO WORK THE PROGRAM. It was not pretty.

My only suggestion is for you to read the book, Alcoholics Anonymous. Unfortunately, you cannot change him, but the book will explain how the Alcoholic 'is'. Also, I found that prayer may not have an immediate effect, but it is IMPORTANT.

No matter what, and I PRAY this works out for you and your family as it did in me and in my family ... You have the absolute right and responsibility to shield yourself and your daughter from the onslaught that active alcoholism brings.

RDBplus3 ... finally FREE, and I am Praying that for Your Family