View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  
TheBob1

Hi Friends,

Just a post that I am still alive, despite fates conspiring to make me wish I weren't at times. Okay, that was way too dramatic, only b/c I haven't had a great day or two and am having trouble seeing the glass half full - which it is - but I am seeing the annoyingly empty half right now. The part of the glass that, although I took my son on a weekend to get us both finished with some rather strenuous and intensive (for a newbie) dive training and although my son went thru it beautifully and is now certified (hurray!), it seems that bonding is just not easy with a 14 year old and old-fart Dad (me) who did not get scuba certified on Father's Day due to some "physical issues", in part due to slow starvation (dieting to get slim over last 6 weeks - too quickly).

Did any of that makes sense?

A lot to be grateful for - and I grew up KNOWING what real gratitude is - maybe it was in my heart already or maybe in my upbringing, but I'm ashamed to admit I seem to have given my son too much of myself and probably more things than I should have over time and now am reaping what I have sewn: A teen who is unhappy if he is not wowed by his birthday gifts. So its turned into a time of the week for a self-pity party while my son has a fun time with his close pal and garbage food and video games... I can only hope he realizes the error of his ways deep in his heart, as I don't think his apology was truly genuine - - but I couldn't bust up his whole day over it, so I finally accepted and hugged....

This has nothing to do with the thread's heading or when my wife is going to get her sorry a-- into a program, but its been a very busy week and I've been away more than home, so there will be more on that as it develops (or doesn't). I think this is the week I take Wifey by the hand and gently drag take her to an appt. Yes, yes, yes, only if she is willing, but she has already conceded the need and desire, so we'll see what happens. And no, no, no I don't expect miracles. I don't think even SHE realizes this process is going to involve STOPPING drinking, not just addressing a problem and "getting it under control" (I suspect that's her current belief, but hey, if she is willing to get help, we can get to the tough stuff once she is "softened up", right?).

Hope any fathers that may read this had a good Father's Day. Bless us all, the eternally-overlooked and under-appreciated! (C'mon ladies, us guys need a time to be recognized as the downtrodden minority too, ya know!)

Grateful to be alive and in semi-okay health, living in a country where opulence, whether abundant or in small things, is found in all but the neediest homes; soldiers don't roam streets and pluck innocent people from there homes, etc. etc. etc. Yeah, the glass is not only half full, it runneth over and yet its not always apparent when the little stuff takes center stage, trying to pose as big stuff and fooling many of us (me, for one) that it actually IS worthy of stress and worry. In the overall realm of things, its not - - - so I'll keep telling myself that when the idiotic things that half the world's population would give a limb or more to have as their biggest worries are troubling me.

See y'all...