View Single Post
Old 06-21-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Aellyce

When I decided to quit drinking nearly 17 months ago, I did it with a very firm decision and determination that it'll be for the long haul, for rest of my life. I just did not want to see any other option. It turns out, this clear cut decision and commitment was which made all the difference for me -- I kept failing on a daily or other daily basis for a couple years before that, I think because I did not make that clear decision. Follow up (how to stay quit) for me has been more a pragmatic process that required planning and learning a lot, and actions everyday, in the beginning of course often against the current of what my body was "telling" me. I had bad cravings for a good while, but they had never really shaken my initial drive to turn all this over for good.

What I find interesting is that we often speak about a leap of faith here, hope, etc... for me, I actually had to shut down that sort of belief type thing, because it would have (well it had for years earlier) made me constantly second guess my decision. Funny enough, because in early sobriety, I often was confused and had doubts about the RR/AVRT method, but I must say now thinking back, that's pretty much how I did it. I just did not like/use their terminology, but the practical essence is pretty much it. With the help of SR, therapy, and with lots of daily efforts IRL to keep it on track.

So yes I absolutely think I can, and have no intention to ever change this.