Old 06-20-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  
MesaMan

Mec ~

Been to Orkney. THEE best! For that Trip, we rented a 'Caravan' - Class C Motorhome to us U.S.-ians - and tooled around for a week. An easy Rental outta Greenock by Glascow. Drove it on the Ferry, and enjoyed a pounding ride through a modest Storm up the North Sea to Orkney.

Twilight all night after a ~22:30 hrs Sunset. Folks can start a round of Golf at 21:00 hours, and finish up in Twilight.

We'd pull up to a Camping 'Pitch', and orient the huge RV Window to the Sea. Hit the local Shops for Supplies - or 'Safeway' Stores for basics - and listen to the Beeb over a late Dinner. We didn't plug in, so we could pitch on remote Sites. Brought back a perfect set of huge Scallop Shells nabbed at low Tide, and use them still for Sushi Plates, or horse doovers [phonetic pronunciation].

Besides 'Stonehenge' type Rings you can walk right up to, Skara Brae was stunning. A Neolithic Site built from local flat Rock. In Tree-less Orkney, the Roofs were Animal Hides stretched over Logs washed onshore from Canada. Amazing place.

Scapa Flow was pivotal in WW II. Radio and Telegraph Operators could spot German War Assets headed for Mainland U.K., and give warning . An old Radio Museum I had to go to in some Gent's Barn told the WW II Radio Story, and he had some fabulous old Collectibles. Entry is by Donation on the Honor System, of course.

Given the recent riff here by LBrain on Sea Glass, see the Orkney Story take on that linked below. There's nothing between Orkney and Canada, so the Orkney Beaches provide some of thee best Beach Combing ever!

As we hung out on the RV Site built on the grounds of an old Fish Cannery on the outskirts of Kirkwall, a Boat docked. In these large Bins, they were unloading massive Crabs just caught. Dinner Plate diameter. We bagged two for Dinner for a $ Song, and I figgered out how to steam them in Foil in the RV Oven. We cracked them open on the Picnic Table with Rocks like the opening Ape Scene in '2001: A Space Odyssey'. A functional Tribute to my likely Neolithic Ancestors.

Fabulous, fabulous, and and even more fabulous...

- Skara Brae Website -

- Skara Brae Pictures -

- Scapa Flow Pictures -

- Wiki On Orkney -

- Orkney Sea Glass Competition -