View Single Post
Old 06-18-2015, 10:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Hi Jessie - well done for tipping the vodka away. You CAN do this.

I had pretty much the same experience with the Doctors. My boss then referred me for counselling, which helped a little bit (but not much to be honest - just don't like to sound ungrateful). What really made the difference for me was going to AA, meeting other ladies (and men) who related to me and I could talk to without fear of recriminations or judgement. When I started to work the 12-step program things REALLY started changing. My anxiety and depression lifted, and I started to grown in confidence. I can (at the moment) honestly say I'm happy. Even on a bad day. There is so much hope for us once we stop the cycle and decide that we want to recover and will go to any lengths to do so.

Can I recommend a couple of books (I always recommend these ones - I'm not on commission, they just really, really helped me) One is Living Sober and the other is Monkey on My Shoulder. They're both cheap as chips and available from Amazon in paper or Kindle versions.

For now, I'd suggest just focussing on one day at a time. Try to avoid common triggers for drinking (HALT: Hungry; Angry; Lonely; Tired) and let us know how you're getting on.

Take care.