Thread: New here
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
learningagain

New here

Hi,

I just wanted to stick my head in and say hello. Today marks one week without alcohol for me. I will post more when I am not so busy, but I have always been a drinker - grew up in a house with two alcoholic parents, and social life involved drinking. I moved from the UK to the USA in 2006, and with the change in lifestyle really did not drink because it was not part of my life here. However, 3 years ago, my relationship broke down, I was homeless for a short time with a 5 year old, was a student and not allowed to work on my visa. In the stress I turned to alcohol, and despite fixing the problems, alcohol stuck around, and I found this year I was drinking 8-10 beers a night. Decided most of my current issues result from alcohol - I have put on 20 pounds, drink alone at home and was avoiding social interaction.

So, I said enough, reached out to a sober friend. Have replaced an evening of drinking alone, to an evening hiking and exploring local parks with my sober buddy. Feeling a little fragile still, but reading here helped a lot, so thank you!