View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ruby2

Hi Lucy. Don't beat yourself up. Take the time to reflect where things went awry. What was working for you during those five months? Build from there and add more things.

I relapsed after 10.5 months of sobriety. Picked up almost where I'd left off. I'd let my recovery slide. Stopped doing what I had been doing. Ignored little warning signs that all wasn't right. Let myself get run down and when something stressful happened, couldn't handle it. My husband had relapsed too and I played his tape forward, not my own.

Three months later I woke up and decided I'd had enough and set a quit date. While that original date didn't stick because I drank two more times, the second one has, so far and I've not had a drink in over 18 months. I started logging on here and reading and posting as if my life depended on it. I started attending AA meetings again. I reached out more for support even when I didn't feel like it. I gave voice to the discomfort I felt and asked for help. I didn't drink no matter how painful it was. I've now survived another of my husband's getting sober and relapses without me drinking. Mainly I realize that I have a daily reprieve. One day at a time. Today, I won't drink.

You can do this. You've done something big in even posting here and asking for help. Make today day one.