View Single Post
Old 06-12-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  
TheBob1

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Yeah, I get it, my family was sort of like that, too. Not real big on sharing "feelings"--I think it's the Nordic culture, kinda stoic, nobody yells, cries, or hugs.

I think I'd make it short and sweet. Here's the deal, here's what's happening. I think it's important to convey that alcoholism isn't something anyone chooses, that nobody knows why some people are susceptible and other people aren't. You might mention that there's a possible genetic component, so it's important for him to pay attention to his own reactions to alcohol when he is old enough to drink. You can tell him that nobody expects him to do anything special, but that he is welcome to ask questions or to talk with other kids whose parents or brothers or sisters have had problems with addiction, and you can help him find a group if he ever feels like he wants to talk about any of it. You might also give him a heads-up that quitting drinking is very hard for an alcoholic, so not to be surprised if mom seems a little weird for a while.
Sounds like the perfect plan. I think this is exactly what he would respond best to and sounds the most "natural" for both of our "sensibilities".

Thanks!