Thread: First test.
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
strategery

Yup, I've been there too.

With early sobriety, I had to figure out what emotions were triggering me to drink. Like you I would drink if I was very happy, very sad, angry, as well as many other emotions.

One of the things I do when I am feeling like I want to drink is make myself fill in this blank, "I want to drink today because ____".
Then I ask what emotions are behind it. This can be very challenging and I found it challenging for awhile. But the interesting thing is if I acknowledged the emotions, sometimes that in itself would help the craving go away.

The third thing I would do is ask myself, is how would drinking solve this issue (if there was something I was upset about) and the possible consequences.

By doing this, I was able to start figuring out what things were triggering me and the feelings behind them since I had gotten used to numbing myself. I also knew if I was feeling a certain way, to be on guard.

Sometimes something as mundane as changes in weather would be a trigger since it was due to me being uncomfortable or feeling excited about the changing weather.