View Single Post
Old 06-07-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  
amy55

Originally Posted by TheBob1 View Post
A quick thanks to you and Lexie for the explanations/clarification. I was actually a bit muddy on the distinction.

I differ a bit on whether one can make rules for an adult in their own home. I have always been of the mindset that offending behavior must yield to the non-offending (like if someone decides to start smoking in a home where no one does, they need to take it outside or stop if the others don't like it and are negatively impacted).

Besides, I see the drinking, or rather the behavior that results from the drinking, to be offensive, often childish, and DAMAGING, so why not treat the offender like a teenager? If she has to sneak around to get a buzz... GOOD! Hell, she already does anyway. Would that be degrading? Yes... GOOD!! Why should she be allowed to maintain a sense of dignity while she tears down my life and the very home she "has the right" to drink in??? I refuse to buy into the notion she "can drink if she wants". Not if it is ruining the family unit, the marriage, me, and our son (just ask the recent poster who is pushing me to dump and run asap!).

There is more than one way to skin a cat (no pun intended Lexie).

Just thinking out loud - not saying I am going to do that, but am strongly considering it. I lived with a smoker for 12+ years. I smoked too for a few years but then quit completely. I did not take a stand against continued smoking - that would have been unfair and no one but me was annoyed by it, so we came to some reasonable agreements. But should it be the same with drinking? Naaaah. I nor any habit (like smoking) ever destroyed a home life as drinking can, and in my situation now, DOES. Worst I ever did was get drunk and say stupid things and felt like an idiot the next day while I nursed a hangover.

Quick shout out to the RA's here:

DOES ANYBODY MISS HANGOVERS!?! LOL! Really, am I right? I have never wanted to be put out of my misery more than when I had a really bad hangover.

But I digress. Just talkin' now...
I think this thinking is totally off the wall. I am an RA. I was also in an abusive relationship.

You can't control another person. That person has every right to do whatever they want to do.

I know sometimes emotions get out of control also. I wanted my ex to stop drinking and stop abusing me. I could say that all that I wanted to, but if I didn't have actions behind me to stop the abuse or how I dealt with it, it would have meant nothing.

What are your action plans?

Any actions or just to keep watching. No one ever said that was wrong either.

I don't know, sometimes you find you have a big problem, you can either jump into action, or you can sit and watch. Inaction is also an action. I say this because of the many times sometimes it takes for someone to leave a relationship.

Not pushing you on anything, just here to listen to what you are talking about, and here to give you (((((hugs)))))

amy