View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Brauggi

My last drunk should have been last April after I got some scary news about my heart (they told me I have the heart of a 50 - 70 year old and I am only 32.). I cut way back, but I was still drinking - I can't believe how insane that sounds now.

My actual last was in November when I proceeded to get drunk while watching my child (who was napping) while my wife and her mom were out shopping. My wife, who was 9 months pregnant at the time, came home and saw the state I was in and made me go to bed. The next morning she explained that her parents now knew I was an alcoholic and, this is the part that still guts me, she told me that she wished she had went into labor the night before so I would have missed the birth of my son. That put so much in perspective for me and made me realize how much I was hurting her and made me realize that there was no way I could be the father I needed to be if I carried on the way I was. I hate "war stories," but I think that is mainly because it reminds me of what a piece of **** I was for ever getting myself in that position. I have no idea what the future holds, and my relationship has healed immensely, but I realize now that if I ever pick up another drink I could lose everything.