View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Refiner

Hi, Fizz... I'm sorry for what's brought you here. He sounds exactly like a dear old friend of mine who is in his 70's and his wife (now his X after 50+ years of marriage) is like your Dad. She doesn't drive anymore but BOY HOWDY is she resourceful to get her booze! She goes to the hospital saying she's dying about 2x/month on average. Her ex-husband is still her enabler making sure all her bills are getting paid and picking up her "pills" etc. I'm sure he's buying her booze, still, but there's a store withine walking distance for her, too. She's resorted to just ripping blanks checks out of the checkbook and handing them to random strangers to fill out for her to get her booze and cigs, etc. Last winter in the bitter cold she was at the store in her pajamas and slippers holding her box of wine asking strangers to take her to her apartment but she couldn't even tell them where she lived. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do for your dad. What's he on dialysis for? Who pays for it? If it's being paid for by social welfare, they may not want to continue if he's drinking so much. It's his life and he's choosing how he wants to live it. It's sad, but I'm afraid there's very little you can do (as I've learned through this other woman who was married to my friend).