Thread: Impatience....
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 03:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
equus

Impatience....

Yup - that's me, impatient. I walk quickly, do two things at once, can't bear it when people faff with their handbag before pulling away from the last petrol pump, don't want a dishwasher because the thought of having to 'wait' for it to finish sends me potty - I know I'd have washed them by hand three times over in that time. I'm hopelessly impatient.

That's the feeling I have with D drinking. I trust him, no certainties but enough trust to feel at ease that he will realise whatever he has to in his own time BUT I want his own time to hurry up!!

I know there's a part of me even wanting him to get on with it and drink more, (you have no idea how bad I feel about that - but honestly I know it's there), I want him to know, I want him to see, NOW, tomorrow, preferably today!! And I know that all of that is just my impatience.

I'm very familiar with feeling impatient, I mean the non-appropriate form. Does it matter if I wait 3 mins for someone to sort their bag out before driving off? NO - it doesn't, my feelings of impatience are inappropriate.

Is D's drinking effecting my life? Not apart from that same familiar feeling of impatience. Is there a need for him to get to the 'I quit' stage sooner? Actually I believe it does need to be in his time, I'd possibly think differently if he was downing a bottle a day of whiskey but he isn't, it's only just about creeping to the 2-3 pint a night stage. I think he needs this time, in some ways I think friends seeing the problem for themselves will be a bonus. His and their strengthened bonds will certainly help. For me I know it's better that it comes from him and isn't hurried along just because I want it yesterday, for me the stability of it being his dicision I think will pay dividends.

Now any ideas how I can stop this feeling of ruddy impatience??