View Single Post
Old 05-30-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
O.K.....somebody is going to have to say it.....so, I guess it will have to be me.

Slightly less than 8wks. is to soon to really know a person through and through. It is still in that "first impression /romantic attraction time".
Aware of it or not....there are bonding hormones at play. People are still on their sunday behavior.
Typically, it is somewhere between 6months and a year that the rose-colored glasses come off enough to begin to make realistic judgements.

I believe that one has to be willing to "throw the fish back" for at l east the first 18mo. of a relationship--if signs of dysfunction (in either party) show up.
Many a bad relationship has been made (divorce rate hovering near 50%) in haste...
What I am saying is--no "permanent hires," Consider this purely probationary period.
You just never, never, know what might crawl out from under the rocks.

If it is o.k.---then, no problem......but, time will tell you that.....

This is what I have learned in a long lifetime---I realize that not everyone will look at it this way....

dandylion
And, yes, you are so right! One of my favorite sayings in Al Anon is 'more will be revealed'. Believe me, I honestly don't expect this to go very far. I see it as a chance for me to learn more about myself and about how I carry myself interpersonally in romantic relationships. I'm not out there looking for a husband, LOL. I'm just looking to explore relationships and see where I'm at emotionally and to have a good time. For now, it's just a good chance for me to see what a healthy person looks like and I get to use my tools to keep myself in check as I move along in life.

I think I'd be happy being single forever. I'm loving life right now and spending lots of time with friends and with my son. My son and I went to the gym today and worked out together, then we went to get his haircut, grabbed lunch, and we'll be hanging at home today. I want to keep my life in balance and not get all caught up in 'the one'.....because, quite frankly, I'm not sure that actually exists, LOL.