Thread: quick update
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Hi, I'm sorry about this awful accident. I read some of your earlier threads but did not comment to you before because I did not feel I had anything useful to say... What I want to say now is that this could be a complete turning point in your life if you took it that way. Some of us need something very drastic to happen to us in order to initiate a big change... I did not have that in relation to my alcoholism and recovery from it, but did much earlier in my life when I almost died once. That experience induced such a quick and dramatic shift in both my motivations and my behavior, it's still sort of a mystery to me sometimes when I think back. But I think what's required is that we are willing to perceive it that way.

A celebrity figure your accident reminded me of is fiction writer Stephen King... he wrote and spoke openly about how a serious car accident finally "helped" him to get out of his years of multiple addictions that seemed kinda hopeless for both himself and his family. Not just simply being restricted physically, but he commented that the accident triggered a sort of psychic change in him where the appeal of taking drugs and drinking just fell away in the light of life and death, and the uncertainty of his perspective after the accident for a while. Apparently he never went back to drugs and drinking afterward.

I wish you a speedy recovery, and please do talk to your medical team about the addiction issue in the context of pain management.