Notices

quick update

Old 05-29-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

quick update

I've been transferred to a rehab center to learn how to do the basics for the next 3 months. Things like getting in and out of bed, going potty, showering and simply walking. Things are not looking to good. Can't bend my legs for 3 months. Anyway for all you,opiate addicts, i,now get it. These guys shovel ,pain medication down your throat like cheerios and in your veins like saline solution. It's no wonder the world has a prescription drug problem. In my case I was glad because if felt like I had white hot knives being driven through my knees for about 54 straight hours.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you're getting some help!

Hope you're feeling better soon
Old 05-29-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're being taken care of Jeff.

D
Old 05-29-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh I just read about your accident. That sounds excruciating. Prayers your way.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Best wishes for a recovery as quick as possible. If you haven't, you may want to be clear about your addictions with the doc and work out a better pain management plan if you have concerns.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Heal up thomas.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

What a terrible thing to happen.

I was a little bit too fond of my pain meds following surgery, both IV and oral, but not enough to go find more pills.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Any lessons learned that you might share?
Old 05-29-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you are being take care of, it will allow you to heal you some time to heal your body and mind.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm sorry about this awful accident. I read some of your earlier threads but did not comment to you before because I did not feel I had anything useful to say... What I want to say now is that this could be a complete turning point in your life if you took it that way. Some of us need something very drastic to happen to us in order to initiate a big change... I did not have that in relation to my alcoholism and recovery from it, but did much earlier in my life when I almost died once. That experience induced such a quick and dramatic shift in both my motivations and my behavior, it's still sort of a mystery to me sometimes when I think back. But I think what's required is that we are willing to perceive it that way.

A celebrity figure your accident reminded me of is fiction writer Stephen King... he wrote and spoke openly about how a serious car accident finally "helped" him to get out of his years of multiple addictions that seemed kinda hopeless for both himself and his family. Not just simply being restricted physically, but he commented that the accident triggered a sort of psychic change in him where the appeal of taking drugs and drinking just fell away in the light of life and death, and the uncertainty of his perspective after the accident for a while. Apparently he never went back to drugs and drinking afterward.

I wish you a speedy recovery, and please do talk to your medical team about the addiction issue in the context of pain management.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chrissy2014 View Post
Any lessons learned that you might share?
Not sure if I've learned any lessons persay (sp?). But it certainly changed my perspective. In the last 48 hrs I've come to realize this is some serious sh*t and I am in it for,the long haul. I am sure I will flirt with depression over the next few months.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update, Jeff; you are in my thoughts and prayers.

I agree with the others that an honest talk with your doctor about the pain meds and addictions should take place.

Heal well and completely, my friend.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hi Jeff.

Sorry to hear about your falling accident. The plaster leg casts are no fun, as I know from my own experiences back when. Good to hear your pain is under some management. No need to be in serious pain through any of this. For me, when real pain was present, I had no worries or experiences with being "high". And as my pain moderated, so did my use of pain killers. As others have already said, let your team know as much of your past addiction struggles as you can share as they can be mindful towards a more effective management of care.

Good to hear you're having a change in perspective. It's always best to take a fresh look at ourselves when things go suddenly south. Life happens, and its okay to change and adapt as needed and desired. I hope this is a real turning point for you Jeff. I wish you a speedy recovery. Be well. Take care.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you're getting some help and care Jeff!!
Old 05-30-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wishing you the best. Be patient with the recovery process though, these things can feel slooow.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just an fyi, pills have never been my thing. I appreciate everyone's concern but I highly doubt I will getting hooked on pain meds. I have pondering what my life will be like when this chapter is behind me. I don't know the answer right now but i,am confident it will be different. My relationship with alcohol may very well end. It may not. At this point I belive I will have a greater appreciation for life...and freedom. Alcohol provides neither. I know that I will not have any alcohol for three months and maybe that will propel me to total abstinence. H ope everyone is having a good weekend.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

My relationship with alcohol may very well end. It may not.
This makes you sound pretty passive Jeff and I know you're not that guy.

You're right - this is a great opportunity for you to put the bottle down and leave it down and learn how to live a sober life..

Don't leave the door open to a return to booze. Not is not an option.

Be careful with the pills too, man

I can't tell you the number of posts I've read here where people say I never had a problem with pills, and ended up with a problem with pills.

It's not like you or I chose to be alcoholics..and it's not like people choose to be addicted to pills either.

If you find yourself liking the meds too much, speak with your Dr - there will be other meds available.

D