Thread: I'm sorry
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
howtoforgive

[QUOTE=Stewy84;5395349]Hello everyone,

I'm receiving CBT for social anxiety however I don't believe this is helping me. The therapist doesn't seem to offer up much in the way of advice on how to deal with my problems and I find myself just waffling on in the meetings as there doesn't really seem to be a structure.

Stewy,
I'm sorry that you are struggling. It is a shame that your entire support network seems, well, non-supportive. You cannot really change jobs right now, get a new girlfriend, or new parents. However, you can seek out a new therapist. That is one person who should be on your side and you should feel definitively that their presence in your life is helpful. Sometimes you have to go through a few therapist before you find one that you "click" with. I was lucky to land with my current therapist quite by happenstance. It was not until then that I realized my previous therapists were not doing their job, had no intuitive sense of my problems, and thereby were not able to help me. A therapist should be able to pull the words that help and be able to you tell exactly why "x, y and z" bother you and advise you how to get over the issues and how to circumvent the issues from happening again. Find a better therapist if at all possible. You need someone in your life who you know is in your corner and understands you. Good luck and take care.