View Single Post
Old 05-23-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Ajax

Originally Posted by haennie;

Kitties are ~3 week old and it will be a few more weeks to wean them safely. My friend and I will travel more this weekend, but he tells me/us to try to figure out all the complications necessary to transport a cat from Asia to America, and probably everywhere else...
Oh my..., and we'll see.

:
At the risk of turning this thread into a "eccentric cat lady" thread, I feel compelled to share my own story about a cat who picked me.

I was vacationing on the island of Nevis, and every morning breakfast was served outside on the patio. There was one black and white cat who we would find cooling herself in a large flower pot throughout the day.
We fell in love with each other.

I should describe her appearance. She had one ear with tufts of ear hair sprouting from where the other should have been. She had half a tail.
She had an extra joint in her front left paw that tilted it sideways. The remaining ear had bite marks. In short, she was a mess. But I recognized she was a true survivor. I named her Ajax,. ( yes, she was the original), because I figured she was stronger than dirt. We got in touch with the local vet, and for the price of a cat carrier and a certificate stating she was rabies free, we were good to go.

Fast forward a week, and she was brought to the vet for a general check up. ( the only cat I know who purred when they inserted the rectal thermometer). Turned out she was pregnant. We joked about how dark a night it had to have been for some guy cat to find her attractive, "No, really, I go for one eared, half tail, limping cats. Of course I'm in for the long haul".

Well, she had one kitten I named Kitt, for the sister island to Nevis, which is where I figured Mr. Cat hightailed it to the next morning. Immediately, Ajax became Kittymama and a more loved cat there never was. We had her for 11 wonderful years. She was a tough cookie, but a sweet spirit.

Thanks for letting me reminisce. It felt good remembering her.

So, haennie, go for it! Lol