Thread: A Reminder
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2015, 03:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

I see it like this... Until someone gets sober, and learns to stay that way, they can't possibly know what works and what doesn't for them. They might think they know, they might know what's comfortable for them, they might have thoughts, feelings, ideas, and opinions, but bottom line is - they don't know. What they think is unhelpful, might be the very thing they need.

When I got sober I was in enough pain to not question anything at all. I knew 2 words. Yes, and OK. I pretty much took anybody and everybody's advice whether I liked it or not, and what I got in turn was sobriety that's lasted many, many years.

Just my opinion, but I really think people would benefit from letting go of what's "right" and "wrong" for them, until they find what actually works. The things that were the most uncomfortable for me in early sobriety, were the things I grew the most from. They were the things I desperately needed to do differently in order to start transforming my life into a joyful, sober one. Had I done only what "I" wanted to, what "I" felt comfortable with, I honestly don't think I'd have stood much of a chance.

I don't know anything at all about you, so I'm not certain if this applies accurately to your situation, but it's what comes first to mind when I hear anyone take issue with suggestions.

Not a single suggestion I took from people who were sober longer than me in my first 2 years of sobriety has hurt me in any way.