Old 05-21-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
MisterChill

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
Mr Chill, brynn
This will be my first sober memorial weekend as an adult too. Well at least since I was about 20. 36 now! Crazy!
Ha!

After my initial post I did some rethinking of my past. I probably haven't been totally sober on any holiday weekend in 15+ years. The only sober weekends I can recall since the late 90's included a serious bout with the flu and the failed attempts at trying to knock it off for a week or 2 at a time over the last 10-12 years before going right back to the daily grind.

Going all the way back to 1990 I don't think I've ever been sober for more than a month. During my binge days I had plenty of days off in between big "party nights". But looking back with a clearer head, my path was set on a rail and nothing was going to break it until I decided once and for all to do it the right way.

I quit cigarettes cold turkey years ago after many failed attempts. That was tough. I quit prescription pain meds for my back after getting hooked and went cold turkey. That was worse than what I'm feeling now but not by too much.

I'm drinking an ice cold seltzer right now enjoying the fact that I'm not on my 6th beer already. 600 calories saved! haha

I bought 3 cases of lime flavored seltzer for the weekend. Best of all I can drink all I want with no remorse. The more I think about it, this weekend is a milestone of proportions larger than I first realized.