View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Whitewingeddove

His rehab is not court ordered. He was on a hold without bail order pending his next court date at the end of June. The judge struck the order to allow him to attend rehab. On release from rehab he has to return to court for a decision on what to do with him between release and his vop sentencing.

While in rehab he will also be pursuing possible sober living facilities. He will have more phone access and a caseworker to assist than while incarcerated. The two in our area will not accept him due to his original offense being a violent felony. His robbery at 18 five years ago was with a broken bb gun, but in the eyes of the law, that is not a factor, it is still as "listed" offense.

He is in hopes he will find a facility in another area of the state that will accept him, and that the judge will consider that in lieu of revoking his probation and ordering him to serve his underlying sentence of 3-7 years.

I am in agreement that jail is sometimes the thing that saves someone's life. The thought has crossed my mind more than once. However, due to the current situation with our gd being in our legal custody, our son in jail, and mom being in rehab, it brings a whole other set of concerns. If mom is unsuccessful over the next few months getting it together, DCF will seek permanency for our gd. This could result in a TPR of both parents parental rights. I've been told my son could argue that he has cleaned up and turned his life around (if he indeed does) but that argument will likely not hold up if he is serving a lengthy sentence and therefore is unable to parent, regardless of his sobriety.

Best case scenario in the above w9uld be