View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Iconoclastic

Originally Posted by Hope3333 View Post
Well I have 45 days today and although the first month was great, it seems like the novelty is wearing off and I'm starting to get resentful that it's getting warm outside and several groups of friends are getting together with major drinking involved. I know I wouldn't drink ( I'm on Antabuse), but I'm either dreading going to these events or finding myself backing out at the last minute and it makes me feel like I'm missing out. One bday party I decided to skip because we always end up splitting the check and I don't want to pay for everyone's wine (last year I pulled the host aside and gave her my portion and it turned into a big deal). Another is an annual rental of a party bus which will be an all day wine and beer tour, and another was a Cinco de Mayo Margarita get together.

I guess I'm in a funk because although the bad effects of drinking have stopped, I'm not seeing enough positive from it yet to convince myself that it's worth giving up the social activities and "fun". The last time two times I went out with drinking friends I had to turn down drinks about 30 times each night. I told everyone I was on medication and that I could die if I drank, but people weren't getting it and quite frankly it was really annoying.

Anyone else go through something similar?
Hope3333 asks>>>Anyone else go through something similar?

Well sort of, I owned and ran a saloon, and my customers wondered why I didn't drink. I told them I'm allergic to alcohol, that I breakout, I break out in handcuffs ;-)

If one is sober they can do anything in life and not have the temptation to drink. Fear and discomfort around booze and / or those that drink is abstinence, not sobriety.

Discomfort when one is newly abstinent is understandable, but it can get better. Boredom is sometimes undiagnosed depression when one is newly abstinent, it was for me.