Old 05-06-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
TheBob1

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Bob - I just have to ask as you've stated you drink as well - have you removed alcohol from your side of the equation at this point??

The reality is we don't know why some may drink in normal manner for a lifetime while others cross over into alcoholism. Regardless, in your situation - are you mitigating the exposure of alcohol in the household by not drinking yourself???

I will reiterate about Al-anon and/or Alateen meetings.
If you proceed in a legal manner this show of good faith will be substantive as well as supportive for you and your son.
I take that to mean 'have I completely eliminated alcohol from my diet?'. No, as I have felt that using alcohol "normally" is, well, normal. Removing every sign of it from the home seems counter-intuitve, as my theory is that if you are going to "fix" your problem, you can't blame the presence of a substance for its use. Okay, that being said, I have no problem not drinking at all. It would be like saying "no more pizza". I might miss it once in a while but it won't affect my life one way or another.

I have, many times, thought of clearing out the liquor cabinet to completely empty. Always end up keeping stuff there for company. OKay, is there a consensus here that I should get rid of the stuff and not touch a drop - at least till this resolves one way or another?