Thread: My Mom
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
berryfines

My Mom

She died on Sunday. A friend found her on Tuesday morning. Her water had been disconnected since March 31st. I found out Tuesday morning and called Adult protective services. This is what they needed in order to forcibly remove her from her home. It was too late. She died sitting on her couch in front of the tv. That's all I know.

My son is devastated. He was incredibly close with her. Through his short life (8) he was able to spend a lot of time with her. When she was sober, or at least her drinking was only at night or only when we weren't visiting, she was an incredible Grammy. She took him to classes at the pier on the beach, they went ghost crab hunting, read books, watched movies, laughed, tickled, etc.

She was probably the one grandparent he was the closest too. He took the news well at first but at bed time last night just lost it. All I could do was hug him. Unfortunately, he was well aware that she had alcoholism and it made her very sick. I tried to be as honest with him as I could be. I felt that her alcoholism was such a hush hush when I was growing up, I wanted him to understand it's not something to be ashamed of. He is so upset. He cried for hours.

Does anyone have any guidance on how to help my son through this? Unfortunately my mom lived out of state so his dad and I are leaving tomorrow late morning to drive to my mom's. Our son will be staying with my MIL for the two-three days we are gone.