View Single Post
Old 05-01-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
amethyst05

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
I don't know, amethyst... I kinda tend to feel that many of the sometimes quite adamant discussions and opinions around the AA program are typical power struggles we humans often have even with each-other everyday.

I have not worked the 12 steps, but honestly, when I was drinking heavily, I could never go more than 2-3 days without alcohol, and 2-3 days were already an "achievement" during that time and most often did not happen. That was as far as my "power" lasted as a drinker. And then I used my frustration about it as an excuse for another drink...
I understand everyone loses control over their behaviors sometimes (especially when immersed in an addiction or substance abuse), all I'm saying is that instead of depending on God to rescue us from our hopeless and helpless situations, we can realize the only real higher power is the collective, which we are all equally a part of... in my opinion.

People with eating disorders "lose control" over food, but they have no choice but to gain it back or eventually die from their unhealthy behaviors... I understand the importance of surrender and humility, but AA isn't the only way to achieve that or re-gain control imo.

So I know I said I don't want to debate but just wanted to explain a bit of where I'm coming from