View Single Post
Old 05-01-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Boleo
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by amethyst05 View Post
So why isn't alcoholism treated as a compulsion? AA treats the symptoms, not the underlying causes.. You're completely powerless over your addiction?
Alcoholism is a progressive illness. It starts of as simply a bad habit. Goes on to be a compulsion and can end up a full blown hopeless condition.

How do I know that I was "powerless"? Because no amount of willpower, psychological tricks & tips or fellowship meetings could help me stay stopped in the long-run.

Then when I finally gave up fighting it. The compulsion vanished completely. I am still powerless today. I make no conscious attempt to control my drinking what so ever. Having had a Spiritual Awakening as a course of practicing reciprocal actions, I can now say:

A Spiritual Awakening is the most comfortable way to stay sober. The most natural way to stay sober. The most reliable way to stay sober.

Spiritual Awakenings are as real as orgasms. However, they are an "experience" that have to be lived to be comprehended. Not everyone believes that they are real because not everybody has "experienced" one.