View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 12:36 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
Is it because I canot deal with the pain or is it a pattern learned many years ago? No one was able to tell me HOW to deal with anything.
Maybe they weren't able to tell you how to deal with anything, and you have (like the rest of us) decided that drinking to change our perception of reality would give us relief from the things we didn't feel that we could / wanted to face. The thing is, only YOU can change what you choose to do about it now. You can drink on it and forget about it for a few hours then feel even more ****. Or you can seek out people who CAN tell you HOW to deal with everything. (Disclaimer: They may not always say things you want to hear).

We are all different, but to me there were two distinct parts of becoming sober and living a life of sobriety.

1 - stopping drinking. Every day. No more alcohol. Full stop

2. Learning to deal with everything (because if you don't do that, you're always likely to fall back on that crutch and try to change your perception of that 'everything')

Number one wasn't so hard for the first month - then got progressively more difficult as more and more 'everything' was bubbling up and I had no way of dealing with it other than soothing my feelings with alcohol. I nearly had a breakdown.
My personal number two - the learning- came when I started working a 12-step program (in AA). Promise number 11 is 'We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us'. I'm not at the intuitively stage yet - but I believe it will come, and in the meantime I now have the tools to work through my issues rather than drink on them.

Please. Get rid of the vodka. You know that it's not the answer. It's the one thing that is likely to stop you finding the answer. Good luck.