View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
happymama22

Done...now what?

long story short...my husband is an alcoholic, did an outpatient treatment program a year ago to deal with a narcotic addiction but didn't really deal with his alcoholism and has been getting much worse in the last 3 months. His dad died recently which set off his latest bender. Today he came home at 430 after picking our kids up and reeked of booze. I asked him about it and he said he had a couple of beers after work with a female coworker--(in his classroom which in his mind is totally acceptable.).

Driving with our kids after drinking has been a boundary of mine. I also had previously told him that if he wanted to keep drinking the way he has been he needed to go somewhere else. He didn't want to leave tonight so I took the kids and went to the store and a friends for a few hours. We're home and upstairs while he's downstairs halfway through a bottle of tequila.

I've finally reached the place where I'm just done. Even if he were to go to rehab and get sober I don't know that I want to stay on this ride. He was my best friend, a wonderful father, great teacher, and so much more but now he's just an alcoholic.

Where do I go from here? We own a home together, have 2 young children, and not much of an emergency savings. I don't trust him with joint custody and am scared of that possibility if we do divorce.