View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Overwhelmed1

Not sure where to start...so here goes

My husband is currently attending private individual alcohol counseling in addition to marriage counseling with me. After two years of commenting on his drinking and telling him how desperate the situation with our marriage was/is...after making the appointment a year ago for marriage counseling where he was a no show....and more, I finally contacted a attorney just to get my options straight and my mind focused and I delivered an ultimatum to my husband at 6 am in the morning ( because he was sober at that time of the day)that I wanted to separate and attend counseling. He wasn't moved until I presented him with my plan for moving out- he just didn't think I would go- he thought he could just refuse to leave- I showed him apartment complex brochures with application fees and rents written on them where I had been looking to move- and THAT my friends is when he realized he was very close to losing a 25 year marriage where the first 20 years were great. He opened his own business, a restaurant and bar 5 years ago and that is the "Mr. Hyde" began making "appearances" on an ever increasing basis. He left for work that morning and came back an hour later and said... Ok, I'll go, please don't move out, I'll go. I said six months minimum counseling and if at any time he skipped appts or failed to attempt to listen to "our" counselor that I was perfectly ready to move out.

That was about a three weeks ago. So far "Mr. Hyde" has been under wraps, he still doesn't think he is an alcoholic but does agree that he may have a "problem." One step at a time I guess.

My 52 year old brother, who lives with my 80 year old mother, is (I think) in ESLD due to alcoholism- I believe the only thing that will save him is in- patient detox.

Any support, advice, questions, whatever are welcome about either situation. I do want to know how I can tell how close my brother is to the end of his life based on his symptoms. My moms an enabler so she will just make excuses. He, my brother, says he will go to detox....just not yet. Dude, not yet may be over.