View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
paintballguy

TBH the beginning parts about addiction in general i liked, like the jaywalking story on page 37. As the chapters went on i found the religiousity grew and i liked it less and less. It was at "how it works" past the 12 steps i started to get annoyed. I had to put the book down for a few hours i was getting so rattled because thats where it started to come on with the god stuff pretty thick.

Like you what i do like about the meetings is the peer support. Even though i find a lot of the people are near obsessed with aa and pretty miserable, there are a few in the crowd who are a bit more light spirited. It seems in my area there are a lot of old timers who hit every meeting in town, theyre 10+ years sober and most of them are the miserable ones, they keep getting called up to speak and share and they tell the same story every time, even finding a way to say the same stuff in a topic meeting. One lady talks about how she can pay her bills now, when she speaks she must say that phrase like 50 times, and shes over 25 years sober. It wears thin pretty fast the first time, ive heard it 5 times.

When they called me up to the podium i had them pissing their pants laughing for the full 10 minutes. Gotta laugh at yourself a bit.