View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Bmac
Court jester

I attend AA meetings 3-4 times a week ONLY for the social aspect. I enjoy being around most of the people there and I feel good when others know who I am.

That being said, I fully agree with you in that I do not like the Christian bias of the 12 steps and have no intention of using them for my spriritual growth. I have read many of the same studies you referenced. I have not stated this openly at the meetings that I attend, but am certain it will come up at some point. If I am met with the same attitude you experienced, I will politely remind them that I am a member because I have a desire to stop drinking, that the steps are merely suggestions, and that AA does not align itself with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution, at least according to AA literature.

I wouldn't rule out AA as I think you may throw the baby out with the bath water. There are some good people in the rooms and a few that probably share your same beliefs. Whatever you do, don't let any resentments take root over a few overzealous members!