Old 04-19-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
midgetcop
L'il fighter

I can only speak for my *own* experience, and I hope it isn't misconstrued as preachiness. It's interesting how at one point in time I may have been on one side of the 'argument' and now find myself with a different perspective.

I'm an atheist. Or as a previous poster said, on my best days I'm an agnostic. For many years this was a perceived barrier between AA and I. I trickled into AA meetings many times over the years, and although I *never* experienced anything I would consider overly Christian and preachy (we're a fairly secular bunch here), I still let my perceptions and biases stop me from fully engaging in the program.

Yet, I never really engaged in any other recovery program either. Looking back, I believe my addiction was looking at any reason to stall REAL recovery.

Currently I'm in an outpatient recovery program. In a few short weeks my mind has been opened and my ego humbled beyond belief. My attitude towards AA has shifted dramatically, to the point where I've recommitted to finding a home group and giving it a heartfelt effort. The HP aspect doesn't bother me any more - I'm free to interpret that aspect however I wish that aligns with my beliefs.

Bottom line - the people I've met in AA have what I want. They are comfortable, social, humble, committed, and SOBER. When I first began attending AA I think what I felt towards others was resentment. I didn't think it was possible for me to get to where they were, as if I was somehow fundamentally different and inherently flawed. Well, if that's not a common irrational thought amongst alcoholics, I don't know WHAT is.

sturner - I don't mean to imply that this is where you're at, but just thought I'd share my own journey thus far. As many have already said, there are many paths to recovery, and the one that works is the one that works for YOU.

I wish you the best. Truly the best advice for ANY program is to take what works and leave the rest. Even when that means certain people.