View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
PurpleKnight

The great thing about receptions where you don't know many is there will be no pressure when it comes to saying "I don't drink" there are no prior expectations to break down, so that should defuse that topic of conversation, and the ones that you do know, simply need a "I'm not drinking today, I'll have an orange juice".

Does your husband know of your decision to not drink? as this would be a good time to fill him in, he needs to be on your side if you are going as a couple.

Lastly an exit strategy is key, if it gets too much don't be afraid to go for some fresh air and clear your head, receptions are great if there is plenty of places to go for a walk or a wander for just that!!

Remember alcohol is not the centre of the social universe, we only think that it is, there will be people at that reception who won't be drinking due to maybe religious reasons, they are teetotal, or they are maybe a bit older, I went to my Sister's wedding last year and no one gave grandma a hard time over not having a drink, so why should it be any different for anyone else, keep everything in perspective, it's your choice and everyone should respect that!!