Old 04-16-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Solarion

Originally Posted by Bartacomus View Post
D,
the point is.. peoples comments like pete55, "sit back and watch the atheist" which is an insult in itself.. is common place. it goes non-contested. the topic that was started was, how do we (people like sturner and i) stomach people like that. i trust i could be equally defended if i posted "your god is a fairy-tale" on posts having to deal divinity.

its not an AA complaint, or a sobriety complaint, its how to manage your own program with constant disruptive element.
Not sure which, but on Star Trek I think it was Sarek rather than Spock who said, "There is no offense where none is taken." (Also sounds like something Marcus Aurelius would say.)

So maybe the answer to that involves recognizing that to some extent we are prone to Pavlovian conditioning, and to some extent not, and to try to decondition ourselves.

Maybe by getting outside of ourselves a little, individually or as humans in general, recognizing the outdatedness and arbitrariness of our earlier indoctrinations, as well as some old and ill-fitting clothes still in the closet that we believe we have chosen for ourselves.

You wouldn't be the first one to outgrow the culture you were born into. What are you going to do about it? Go around flattening other people's noses?