Thread: Refuge Recovery
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I'm not taking it as criticism, sam. I asked because I think if you read the book you would see that it does explain the technique much more in depth. Perhaps then you would draw the same parallels that I have, or perhaps not.

I've read the website...and the book. I can understand what you are saying about the hierarchy, judgement of the Beast, etc, but as I said previously, the recognition technique can work in the same way as mindfulness in that you observe and don't interact with the cravings/emotions/feelings-just see them, that's all. I focused much of my early learning of Buddhism on the concept of "mastering the mind" and not allowing it to run rampant. I see that as very analogous to the way AVRT seeks to extinguish certain patterns of behavior by dismissing the thoughts associated with those behaviors. Of course AVRT is going to have some elements that are contrary to Buddhism...Trimpey is as Western as they come. But looking deeper, I see some interesting commonalities.

This does not mean I have to read every book
Well, no...but it helps to be well versed on a subject. It's tough to have a deep discussion with only a rudimentary understanding. Not only that, but it also helps to reference the text because obviously each person who reads has slightly different interpretations of the text.

but no matter...I have no vested interest in promoting Buddhism or AVRT or anything really. I see the two techniques as quite similar in basic premise, simplicity, and practical application. Again, I'm not saying they are exactly the same, nor do I believe they are completely opposite. I practiced Buddhist mindfulness first, and when I stumbled across AVRT it struck me as similar right off the bat. Both of these techniques can be used to examine any attachment and the resulting suffering. That's been my experience anyway.