View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post

I'm trying to find a reason to stop that will sustain me for the long haul.
It is tough.

I cut and pasted you a list of reasons to argue with your Alcoholic Voice from your OP. Basically, if you are powerless over alcohol, and you take that first drink, you are inviting chaos into your life. Things will probably continue to get worse until you make the decision to take back control.

Reasons to stop drinking...
I become a disaster
I lose control and act like a complete idiot
Horrible hangovers
Embarassment
I get violent

Perhaps this list would be more convincing for you if you made a personal list of actual incidents where you have become a disaster; acted like an idiot; woken up feeling embarrassed or ashamed; and where you have acted violently. It won't be a pleasant experience, but might help you face you to the fact of what alcohol does to you.

No-one can make the decision to stop but you. There isn't a person alive who can stop you taking a drink if you make the decision to take it. But there is also no-one alive who can force you to take it if you decide not to. Obviously, it won't be easy. But it will be worth it.

Your life. Your call. There's plenty of support available for you (here and elsewhere) if you choose sobriety.

Good luck.

I think that the book Monkey On My Shoulder might be helpful to you. It's available on Amazon really cheaply, and might well be worth a look if you haven't already read it.