Thread: Hard to Admit
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
fini

WBD,
welcome.
can you drink like a normal person, you ask.
well...can you? have a drink or two with no thought of any more? no wanting any more? leaving the second glass half full and forgetting where you put it down?

can you think of yourself "normal drinking" without comparing yourself to others? others who drink more and thinking therefore you are/might be a "normal" drinker?

admitting you're an alcoholic doesn't mean you have to stop drinking. some use it as an excuse to keep drinking.
for me, knowing (knowing, not admitting) i'm a drunk was the ticket to freedom from drinking. a freedom i'd wanted desperately for a very long time.
the forever thing, too, was crucial to me. yep; it's a long time. for me, thinking in terms of "just for today" immediately had the implied possibility of drinking tomorrow. the daily reality is a daily not-drinking, which is how ongoing sobriety happens, of course.

what happens when you try to drink "like a normal person"?
how long can you "succeed", if at all?
what have been your experiences with that? hm...probably not very successful, or you would likely not have looked for websites such as this one...

your own experience is what matters.
in my own case, though, my own experience was quite clear, but my interpretation of the experience was quite screwy for quite a long time. so there's THAT to consider, too.

maybe the suggestion of trying to have one drink a day and no more for six months and seeing how that goes and if that's doable for you without being torturous might give you more clarity. how do you feel at that very suggestion?

good to see you here, exploring where you're at.