View Single Post
Old 04-13-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Interesting thread. YES I do use my intuition (the kind described in the OP, not anything esoteric or mysterious) a lot in many different areas. I've learned to trust my intuitions quite a lot, or at least like to use the information it gives me, because I've had many good experiences over time. Not so much when I was drinking heavily though, then the same process had become often very delusional and more "ESP-like" (in my head) rather than the internal mental perception involving unconscious mechanisms that we are talking about here.

I probably trust my intuition best when it comes to interpersonal relationships of any kinds. Again, because I've had great results. Many people like to view what we describe as interpersonal "chemistry" as some kind of mystery (especially the romantic kind), but that is not how I see it. For me, it's intuitive evaluation of compatibility which uses our life experiences, memories, own likes and dislikes, mental projections etc heavily, and it can be very fast when it does not involve conscious processing and rational analysis -- we say we just "feel" these things. I personally also enjoy dissecting these feelings for myself, and also sometimes with the people that are involved if they are interested. The intuitions come first, then we can analyze it consciously.

Other areas where I like using intuition a lot is my professional life. I am a scientist and the best ideas and moments of insight for me typically come in intuitive ways: when I suddenly see how things (pieces of information) fit together into a whole, or when I get ideas seemingly "out of the blue" (but it's never that way when I analyze it later, usually it's not hard to track the thought process). Also in predictions that are by definition subjective and uncertain, but I often feel comfortable making and discussing them as predictions or hypotheses because I like to play with intuitive processing. I actually had some problems with this when I was younger/a student: I kinda preferred to use my mind than look at data. But this can get very inaccurate in the absence of experience, so better to be careful.

My mental world is pretty much a big and often non-linear network of rational analytical and intuitive processes, interacting with each-other all over the map. For me, intuition provides information for rational analysis, and also the other way around, data and already "analyzed" pieces of info can be further processed intuitively to identify patterns and more holistic structures. I like it and tend to trust it But again, not the drunk version. I prefer though if there are ways to test these intuitive perceptions/hypotheses because sometimes even my stone cold sober mind gets carried away.

Sorry this post ended up a bit abstract but these are some of the things that first come to mind when I think about intuition. Could talk about the topic for ages