Do you believe in inuition?

Old 04-08-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you believe in inuition?

This might sound silly and somewhat off topic but do you believe (or should I say TRUST) your intuition? I'm not talking about having psychic powers and what not. I'm talking about that gut feeling. I have learned to trust mine because it's always right, especially when it comes to the RA in my life.

There have been several times when I just felt like something was "wrong." Not too long ago I had this thought that something was wrong and sure enough, someone I knew had passed away. Also I went to a job interview and immediately felt like I shouldn't have been there. It's not all bad though. Just last week, I really wanted to get mad at the RA in my life because I just figured he was pulling the same ole disappearing act but yet part of my kept thinkin that no, I needed to give him a chance and sure enough it was all a misunderstanding. The list could go on. I think it might have to do with the fact that I'm finally recovering and listening to myself instead of making myself sick with what ifs, maybes, and should have. Any else know what I'm talking about?
Old 04-08-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yes, and I think "gut feelings" should always be examined, but they aren't infallible.

Your feeling that something was "wrong" before learning someone you knew had died is more like a "psychic phenomenon" proposition--chances are (IMO) that was simply coincidence.

I do think that as we recover we can be more properly attuned to other people.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

there are always going to be things that just can't be explained naturally and I think our "guts" can do some great work. there was this friend of mine who was trying to kill me by getting me to ride way over my level as a new motorcycle rider, and i had been warned about him. but he was my "buddy". but after this one crazy ride that I made it home from there was something deep inside of me, and I mean way down deep that just knew that something wasn't right, and it would simply not leave me alone. It finally came to the surface in my mind, I was able to push aside all of this, but he is my buddy stuff, and by golly, everything pointed to him trying to hurt me. I confronted him about it and he was trying to laugh it off but you could see it in his face and in his tone: he knew exactly what I was talking about. but as far as depending on my gut, or this sixth sense kind of thing, I have come to believe, at best, you can't really count on it. sometimes it will tell you this one little thing, but then why didn't it tell you about this other big thing. stuff like that. but yeah, your gut can "feel" things sometimes that your conscious mind can't just pick up on as well. I just shy away from the supernatural aspect of it. oh well.

Just don't go looking for answers in the clouds, or thinking you can pick up on the future. i think it is much healthier to just stay here in the real world, all in all.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 987g View Post
This might sound silly and somewhat off topic but do you believe (or should I say TRUST) your intuition? I'm not talking about having psychic powers and what not. I'm talking about that gut feeling. I have learned to trust mine because it's always right, especially when it comes to the RA in my life.

There have been several times when I just felt like something was "wrong." Not too long ago I had this thought that something was wrong and sure enough, someone I knew had passed away. Also I went to a job interview and immediately felt like I shouldn't have been there. It's not all bad though. Just last week, I really wanted to get mad at the RA in my life because I just figured he was pulling the same ole disappearing act but yet part of my kept thinkin that no, I needed to give him a chance and sure enough it was all a misunderstanding. The list could go on. I think it might have to do with the fact that I'm finally recovering and listening to myself instead of making myself sick with what ifs, maybes, and should have. Any else know what I'm talking about?
Re: MY intuition and MY interaction with others. I’ve learned more when I’ve had a perceptual change, in that, I’m not necessarily wrong, it’s just that my perceptual change has added shades of gray that I was not aware of.

I also need to avoid absolutes i.e. “always” being right on gut level or what is called intuitiveness. Sometimes I confused my intuition with a rationalization for being right, which to this day is a control issue I battle.

I have slowly learned to pick my battles in an order of priority of importance. I am now more prone to ask myself, “Would you rather be right, or comfortable?”
Old 04-08-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think we are unconsciously more sensitive to changes in people's behaviours than we realise. Sometimes the smallest things in a person's face or voice or mannerisms etc. I think that's when intuition tells us something feels wrong. So yes, I trust mine. Or rather I trust it when I feel something is off about aperson or ssituation, but not always when I think something is right. My unconscious spotting odd things is one thing, wish fulfillment is another! Lol.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As long as I'm taking care of me, i.e.. working my program, my intuition works. If not-it's wrong 75% of the time.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it had a lot to do with the fact that for the first time in probably a year and a half I am not worried sick about someone else, I'm not trying to control everything, I'm not trying to make things happen or stop them from happening. It is a good feeling to enjoy living in the moment. It's not always easy though lol
Old 04-09-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me this was me not over riding myself after years of trying to "force" everything to be okay.

I am much more sensitive and intuitive then I thought as a result. I am also more open to whatever happening happens.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I ignored what my gut was telling me for much of my life. It was not until I was sober that I started listening to it. My sponsor told me that some people believe that feeling we get is God talking to us and all we have to do is listen.

I tend to listen to it now. It flares up when I am being deceived. I don't "know" it, it is more like I can feel it.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I try to always follow my gut. It has never steered me wrong. When I haven't listened to it is when things have gone wrong.

I have heard a lot of talk shows where survivors of terrible things always said their gut told them one thing but they ignored it and that's why the bad thing happened. I would much rather look an idiot for following my gut than winding up dead for ignoring it.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I always listen to that little voice...but I don't always act on it.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I read once that Coincidence is God being anonymous.

I truly always trust my intuition, but I don't always trust my analysis of my gut feel, if that makes sense. I had a really, really negative sense about one of my son's soccer coaches. I just felt that he was a perpetrator. I never, ever let my son be alone with him without another adult present. Other parents thought I was being crazy. He was a winning, skilled coach, worked for the public school system, etc. Guess who showed up on the evening news in a mug shot for child molestation a couple of years later??
Old 04-13-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovered

This happens to me all the time.

Just last week, I ran into a friend and the idea that she was pregnant crossed my radar for a split second (I had no other info that they were trying for a baby or anything). I found out yesterday that she is indeed pregnant. Stuff like that occurs in my life all the time.

I also find myself hyperaware of certain events/conversations in that I get a strong intuitive feeling/thought about something and it will guide my decision-making. Right now I am in a position to sell my house. BUT, I could also hold on to it an build more equity. Out of the blue, I was in a conversation last night and as we were talking about my situation, and suddenly, what I needed to do was a STRONG feeling in my gut. I love those "no-brainers", as I call them, as they need very little cerebral energy to process.

I know for myself that there are perceptions going on that are subconscious and bubble to the surface. I always examine them. I lived 38 years without it and I don't know how I survived. Well, I do, but I don't recommend living that way. It is much harder.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Interesting thread. YES I do use my intuition (the kind described in the OP, not anything esoteric or mysterious) a lot in many different areas. I've learned to trust my intuitions quite a lot, or at least like to use the information it gives me, because I've had many good experiences over time. Not so much when I was drinking heavily though, then the same process had become often very delusional and more "ESP-like" (in my head) rather than the internal mental perception involving unconscious mechanisms that we are talking about here.

I probably trust my intuition best when it comes to interpersonal relationships of any kinds. Again, because I've had great results. Many people like to view what we describe as interpersonal "chemistry" as some kind of mystery (especially the romantic kind), but that is not how I see it. For me, it's intuitive evaluation of compatibility which uses our life experiences, memories, own likes and dislikes, mental projections etc heavily, and it can be very fast when it does not involve conscious processing and rational analysis -- we say we just "feel" these things. I personally also enjoy dissecting these feelings for myself, and also sometimes with the people that are involved if they are interested. The intuitions come first, then we can analyze it consciously.

Other areas where I like using intuition a lot is my professional life. I am a scientist and the best ideas and moments of insight for me typically come in intuitive ways: when I suddenly see how things (pieces of information) fit together into a whole, or when I get ideas seemingly "out of the blue" (but it's never that way when I analyze it later, usually it's not hard to track the thought process). Also in predictions that are by definition subjective and uncertain, but I often feel comfortable making and discussing them as predictions or hypotheses because I like to play with intuitive processing. I actually had some problems with this when I was younger/a student: I kinda preferred to use my mind than look at data. But this can get very inaccurate in the absence of experience, so better to be careful.

My mental world is pretty much a big and often non-linear network of rational analytical and intuitive processes, interacting with each-other all over the map. For me, intuition provides information for rational analysis, and also the other way around, data and already "analyzed" pieces of info can be further processed intuitively to identify patterns and more holistic structures. I like it and tend to trust it But again, not the drunk version. I prefer though if there are ways to test these intuitive perceptions/hypotheses because sometimes even my stone cold sober mind gets carried away.

Sorry this post ended up a bit abstract but these are some of the things that first come to mind when I think about intuition. Could talk about the topic for ages
Old 04-13-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes.

I absolutely trust my gut and my intuition. I have learned that when I don't listen to them I am in trouble.

When I have chosen to listen to XAH instead I always wondered later - 'why the heck didn't I trust my gut??? I KNEW this!'

I also listen to my intuition for other things too.

I think it's something that must be developed, as at first the voice can be very quiet.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
I ignored what my gut was telling me for much of my life. It was not until I was sober that I started listening to it. My sponsor told me that some people believe that feeling we get is God talking to us and all we have to do is listen.

I tend to listen to it now. It flares up when I am being deceived. I don't "know" it, it is more like I can feel it.
YES!
Old 04-13-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iconoclastic View Post
Re: MY intuition and MY interaction with others. I’ve learned more when I’ve had a perceptual change, in that, I’m not necessarily wrong, it’s just that my perceptual change has added shades of gray that I was not aware of.

I also need to avoid absolutes i.e. “always” being right on gut level or what is called intuitiveness. Sometimes I confused my intuition with a rationalization for being right, which to this day is a control issue I battle.

I have slowly learned to pick my battles in an order of priority of importance. I am now more prone to ask myself, “Would you rather be right, or comfortable?”
Yes I like this.

For me my intuition isn't necessarily about being RIGHT, and as I am healing I am always opening to that there are many more than just one perspective.

However my intuition is usually spot on about what is right FOR ME.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AddictGuy View Post
there are always going to be things that just can't be explained naturally and I think our "guts" can do some great work. there was this friend of mine who was trying to kill me by getting me to ride way over my level as a new motorcycle rider, and i had been warned about him. but he was my "buddy". but after this one crazy ride that I made it home from there was something deep inside of me, and I mean way down deep that just knew that something wasn't right, and it would simply not leave me alone. It finally came to the surface in my mind, I was able to push aside all of this, but he is my buddy stuff, and by golly, everything pointed to him trying to hurt me. I confronted him about it and he was trying to laugh it off but you could see it in his face and in his tone: he knew exactly what I was talking about. but as far as depending on my gut, or this sixth sense kind of thing, I have come to believe, at best, you can't really count on it. sometimes it will tell you this one little thing, but then why didn't it tell you about this other big thing. stuff like that. but yeah, your gut can "feel" things sometimes that your conscious mind can't just pick up on as well. I just shy away from the supernatural aspect of it. oh well.

Just don't go looking for answers in the clouds, or thinking you can pick up on the future. i think it is much healthier to just stay here in the real world, all in all.
I think maybe it tells us as much as we are ready / able to hear.

There is this bit in the book "Eat, Pray, Love' where the Balian medicine man gives her the drawing and it talks about 'seeing' through your heart but keeping your feet firmly on the ground, as though you have 4 legs. I like that.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Gavin deBecker has written two very powerful books about what we call "intuition" or "gut feeling." He believes that's what we call the brain's subconscious processes of observing and analyzing observations. He believes that when we trust those "gut feelings" we are better at keeping ourselves safe.

"Protecting the Gift" is the title of one of the books, I don't remember the other one. My ex threw my copy out because he said it was ******** that I shouldn't read... which made it clear that it was useful reading.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
I don't remember the other one. My ex threw my copy out because he said it was ******** that I shouldn't read... which made it clear that it was useful reading.
This made me laugh. Thank you.