View Single Post
Old 04-10-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
honeypig

Hi, WMU--glad you made it to Alanon, even though it felt "weird." Some of us are fortunate enough to have the very first meeting we go to be the "right" one, the one where we feel at home. A lot of us have to try a handful of meetings to find one that feels comfortable. It's kind of like Goldilocks and the 3 bears--this meeting is too big, this one is too small, this one has one overbearing member who grates on me, this one is pretty good but meets too late in the evening for me on a work night...and THIS one is juuusst right! Not perfect, but workable and helpful.

So as others have said, try a couple more meetings--sometimes the one that's the closest to work or home or at the most convenient time doesn't turn out to be the one that does the most good.

To help you "get" Alanon, I'd recommend finding an Alanon book or two and doing some reading. It helps the whole thing make sense. "How Alanon Works" is a good place to start, in my opinion, and "Paths to Recovery" is useful too. Your local library may have these books, or you can often find them used on Amazon for a very reasonable price.

In walking through the doors of that first meeting, you made a big step. Congratulations! I hope you keep going back to Alanon and coming back to SR as well.