View Single Post
Old 04-08-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
LadyOwl

Thank you, everyone! It's been a wild week so far. Sorry I haven't been around. Every day I have little pockets of peace that are then smashed to bits by the latest flare-up of drama and logistics. What a mess.

I thought my sister would flip out about how I'm not talking to my mom now, but she didn't (shocked!). My mom had been calling me at least once a day, leaving me voice mails (no way I'm picking up!) and freaking out about her house keys and arrangements for when she's going home. She got all agitated when the care manager and lawyer went with paperwork for her to sign (power of attorney with healthcare proxy) and wouldn't do it. So they have to go back again later, after she has a chance to look over and comment on everything. I pretty much called it (that she wouldn't sign). It's like the woman goes out of her way to be difficult, but I know she is just LOVING the fact that all of this drama and b.s. is swirling around her. The center of attention, yet again.

Her memory is shot, so the care manager had to remind her how they've been talking about her discharge every day. My sister is going on Friday and will take her home on Saturday. The live-in caregiver is starting Sunday. I know my mom equates going home with drinking, so my sister knows they're going to clash. I don't think my sister quite realizes the extent of it (I should put my phone on do not disturb now!). I imagine it will get ugly. My mom listens to my sister, though, and doesn't verbally abuse her (not to the extent that she does with me). But my sister hasn't ever gotten in between my mom and the bottle, so it's a new frontier for everyone.

I really can't believe how much money my mom's care is going to be for the duration. And all of this because of her alcoholism. Never mind the cost of wrecked relationships. Can't assign a monetary cost to those.

Maybe I'll check out an Al-Anon meeting this weekend. And spend more time on the forums.