Thread: I'm scared
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
BecomingSober

I'm back. I spent the night in the hospital. A read the suggestions given and decided only I could make the decision. By late afternoon there was nothing that helped the pounding heart and breathlessness, acute anxiety. I finally got in the car and drove myself to the emergency room. By then I was trembling and couldn't even sit still. I kind of got bumped to the front of the line when I mentioned the worry about my heart. I was evaluated quickly. BP was 211/98. They set up an IV medication to bring that down. The ER doctor told me there are strong similarities to a strong anxiety attack symptoms and WD symptoms. From the EKG he said I had all the signs of alcohol abuse withdrawal. (Well I did tell the truth from the moment I came in.) I asked why overnight and he said the drugs being used where powerful and dangerous and I would possibly stay for two nights. I stayed one and the last PB reading was 130/85. I am 59 yrs old. So that may have made them more cautious. Slept well except for lying on the damn heart monitor box. I was given lists of all the AA groups and for an Addiction Center. The doctor for my Thursdays appointment came by. Keeping that appointment. It was scary, but I was treated well by everyone.