View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

that sucks.

it is a thoroughly non-supportive message and action.

I can see how this would be intensely hurtful and contribute to a reaction that would undermine your sobriety.

One thing that arises for me is that he said this to you during a conflict. Often we fling pain balls at each other during arguments and conflict in ways that are very unproductive but which represent a feeling or a challenge we are not otherwise communicating appropriately.

I wonder if you have support for facilitated communication. It might be helpful to explore having some deep and honest communication about each of your feelings and needs around drinking with the aid of a good relationship counselor who also understands addiction.

Often - we also hurt our significant others with our past drinking behavior. Comments like this can be reflections of old wounds coming out in hurtful ways when our past wrongs to another are triggered and they respond with retaliation.

Patience, honesty and a focus on communicating intimately are super-important in any relationship. Even moreso in relationships that have involved addiction.