View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ZHIK

Originally Posted by rednails View Post
haha, glad I'm not the only one. But no more! Seriously, I think maybe it starts because I'm bored?
Drinking was always such a normal part of daily life for me, while growing up it always seemed normal that the adults drank every day, then of course I went and immersed myself in an entire world of alcohol with being a bartender. I honestly think the only reason why my complete alcohol abuse didn't start there (well, it started but didn't quite spiral) was because I was working nights and therefore didn't have time to drink.
Now that I've worked a regular 9-5 for the past few years (I was still bar tending on the weekends up until a few months ago), I have these evenings to fill with something to do and that's when I started drinking. House chores are just much more fun if I get to drink while I'm doing them. Did you substitute another drink (like coffee, tea, etc.) at times when you normally would have been having alcohol of some sort?
The craziest thing is that I didn't even question the "almost daily drinking" thing up until about a year ago, when my husband's friends would come over and not want a drink. I started to realize it wasn't normal to drink every day. I'm in my late 20's and it took this long for me to realize that my behavior wasn't normal. On top of that, I don't ever want to be drunk again. It's always the buzz that I start out looking for, but more times than not I wind up being drunk. I think I'm an alcoholic AND a binge drinker.
I'm going to be very blunt here. It's because I think it's best for you.

Not drinking = boredom

Drinking = fun

Rest = excuses

So at the point of boredom, you need to go through it. Stay sober. Even if it means you'll be bored for weeks. How long is that anyway? Based on the rest of your life you get to live.

And do something fun instead, if you can. I'm not sure how explicit we can get on here, but there are certain things that feel good...

Do those, give it 2 weeks and you'll be over the worst of it.