View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ZHIK

Originally Posted by rednails View Post
Thank you both for the responses. As LBrain mentioned, some people are just heavy drinkers. It's possible that my husband is just that, and my own alcohol abuse has pushed him into drinking more often. My parents are heavy drinkers, as I mentioned, but I don't think they have the issues I do. I've always had a knack for getting addicted to things. Knowing that is what kept me away from doing any sort of drug when I was in an environment that seemed a bit fueled by substance abuse.
While all that was true, they are now a list of excuses. There is a difference between reasons and excuses. Also, the only people who are just heavy drinkers are people who don't want to quit. Keep that in mind.

As for now, I believe you're both right and that I need to focus on my own sobriety. Blaming my husband for being a heavy drinker isn't helping anything. I would love to start going to the gym. I didn't mean to, but a few weeks ago I accidentally stayed sober for a few days straight. I started working out at home and after working out just didn't feel the need to have a drink. I think exercise will be a great substitute for now.
So you can see how life will be better if you don't drink. Get some confidence. Feel like you are worth a lot, because you are. You deserve the life you want. And it's not going to happen sober.

So, there's a fork in the road. One leads to happiness, one to misery. Which one are you going to take? The happiness one will be difficult for the initial period, but then you'll be well on your way. The misery one ends in illness and death. None of it will feel good.

Keep that feeling of not needing a drink. Use it everywhere and abundantly in your life.

I am also thinking of creating timelines for my evenings. If I keep myself busy, I can avoid drinking. The biggest problem there is that over the past few years I've begun including alcohol into my hobbies and activities. (I don't know anyone else who has a beer while they do laundry). I read, paint on occasion, cook, but I've included drinking in all of those things. I think I could remove drinking from reading and painting, but for some reason being in the kitchen makes me want to drink, so it's hard to keep up the cooking without drinking.

Any way, thanks again for the replies =)
Things are better without drinking. You can remove alcohol from the activities. See above, use the feeling of needing a drink.

And you will be able to do some many more things. You will be able to be happy.