View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rednails

Unhappy I think it's time to get better

SO this is my first post here. I've lurked around alcoholism forums for a little while. I've been questioning whether or not I have a problem, which of course, was my first clue.
ACTUALLY my first clue should have been the DUI I got two years ago. I was a bartender for about 9 years, from age 18 to 27. My parents are daily drinkers, and I've been struggling with eating disorders since I was 13, so maybe I should have seen this coming a long time ago. While I was on probation for my DUI, I wasn't supposed to drink, and I (mostly) didn't. For 6 months. It wasn't a huge deal, it was kind of a bummer that I couldn't go out (I literally couldn't even be in a bar, aside from the one I worked at). I went through the little testing thing where they tried to determine whether or not I needed to go to AA meetings, and my "counselor" for my DUI didn't think I had a problem. What's crazy is I'm pretty sure I didn't at the time, but I think it was starting. My husband and I have been steadily drinking more and more over the course of the past two years. We had a huge fight last night (because we were both drunk), but we haven't had a fight in a long time. Now, I usually only have one completely sober day a week. My husband drinks much more than me. We are wasting a ton of money on alcohol, I know. I've been telling him for a long time that I'm pretty sure I'm an alcoholic, but he tries to convince me I'm not. He's a great person, and generally doesn't react poorly to alcohol, but if I'm angry or upset about anything I just spiral out of control. Last week, I told him I would like us both to be sober all this week, and he agreed. I know he wants to be supportive, but I honestly believe he has a drinking problem too, and that's why he tries to convince me I'm fine...because he doesn't want to stop drinking either. I feel like I'll be a lot happier if I just give up alcohol all together, but I am scared of never being able to drink again. Ah, that's it I suppose. I don't drink in the mornings or during the day, it's always at night. My job doesn't suffer from it...completely, although I'm sure I'd do a better job if I didn't come in randomly hungover from time to time. I want to have energy again, and I want to feel like I'm healthy. This morning, after our huge fight last night (about basically nothing), we were fine, we made up, and then I said, "wow I'm really happy we're not drinking this week...after last night, now do you believe I have a drinking problem?" and he said, "no, you don't have a drinking problem, you just have an anger problem." "Right...and I only fly off the handle like that when I'm drunk soooo." Any way, I'm just looking for some support. I'm pretty sure my husband may wind up drinking this week. Probably not tonight, but maybe tomorrow, and I'm scared I'll cave too. AND my mother is staying over Thursday night. My parents are I guess functioning alcoholics? They drink every day but there has never been any kind of issue for them with it, I think that's what helped normalize it for me. I just can't do that though. I'm worried about my mother coming in Thursday because I'm sure she'll drink, and wonder why I'm not. I don't know when to tell people I have a drinking problem. I'm sure they must know. It also doesn't help that I'm like 90lbs so it is super easy for me to get drunk. Ah, sorry for the completely random long post. Just looking for someone to talk to. Thanks.