Thread: 18 days
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 12:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Congratulations on 18 days. Nearly 3 weeks!! That's great.

Sound like you're handling the friend situation well.

I also had problems with some of my alcohol loving / alcoholic(?) friends. Some of them will now openly admit to trying to sabotage me back then and are now happy to join me in alcohol-free activities & meet ups, but others are still defensive and will only talk to me to try to get me back on the juice. I suppose I've just had to learn which people actually are friends, and which were just mutual friends with a common pal, 'Alcohol'.

One of the pleasures of this last year has been making some new, non-drinking friends. Esp the ones at AA. And also becoming a person that it isn't painful to be alone with, as my self-hatred has mellowed and I now really do enjoy a bit of solitary time.

Also I have contacted some old friends (the ones that I'd been angry with for years because I thought weren't properly interested in me because they didn't want to join me on my big booze-train, but I've since realised my own part in those old resentments). It's been great to put those resentments behind me and catch up with what they've been doing for the past 20 years while I've been busy getting rat-arsed.

Anyway - congratulations again.