View Single Post
Old 03-20-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
MelindaFlowers

Three questions:

1. What age did you manage to achieve sobriety?

32. I had drank every night for about eight years, very heavily. About 12 units a night.

2. What did you do to achieve it?

It wasn't a choice really. I had organ damage diagnosed by a doctor. Hopefully it is reversible with complete abstinence. On a side note, alcohol can damage your body pretty quietly. I have never been hospitalized, jaundiced or anything. I went to the gym the same day I was diagnosed with inflamed organs. I could've been dead quick though.

3. What do you do to maintain it?

I want to live. I don't want to die. Drinking is not an option for me anymore. I check in here everyday. It helps me to "be okay" with a non-drinking life. I like it 95% of the time. The no hangover part is wonderful. However, I will admit that there are times when I think "why me?! Why can't I have fun like other people?" They pass quickly though.

Life is much, much easier and better without drinking. Lots of people don't drink. 30% of adults don't drink and 30% drink so little it's negligible, like a drink a month. I believe the other 30% maybe drink two or three a night. I would say less than 5-10 percent drink to serious excess.