View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
KeepTruckin

Hi Phil! I know what it's like to have your identity based around your drinking habits. I've run into that when I've tried to quit before and instead of telling my friends the truth, I let them talk me into drinking because "drunk me" is just so much fun. Except when I'm not. And, definitely, except for the next day and all the disruption it causes to my REAL life. Well, that's what I'm here to work on, too.

It must be hard being overseas like that. I'd toyed with the notion of teaching in Asia and although a lot of things stopped me, I worried what I would do if my issues followed me across the world (which I'm sure they would). I've gotten pretty loaded in some foreign countries and it can be scary! I'm glad you found this site since I can't imagine it is easy finding help without speaking the language and such.

Good luck and I hope you can enjoy the process of carving out your true identity. It's an exciting thing, being able to make yourself over and better, but for today, just focus on being sober. The rest will come with time.

Cheers!